Friday, September 18, 2009

A Fresh Start

So I did it--I wiped my laptop and installed Windows 7. So far everything has gone fine. All the reinstallations have gone well. The only trouble I have had is that there is no sound. That is not a problem with Windows 7. I had the same problem with Vista. As far as I can tell, there must be a wire loose between the sound card and the speaker. As far as the OS is concerned the sound card is operating fine. My solution in the past was to buy a USB sound card to bypass the internal sound. It worked fine, but the sound card I had won't work with 64 bit operating systems. So I ordered another one. I hope it works.
I am amazed at how fast my computer is now. I think it is mostly the switch from a 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system. But it is probably also due, in part, to the greater efficiencies in Windows 7. I have a great deal more RAM available. From what I understand, A 32 bit operating system doesn't actually use all 4 gigs of ram. Also Windows 7 requires less RAM to run.
Anyway, so far, I am happy with change.

No comments:

Post a Comment